Working with building control bodies

During and after construction a building control body is usually required to confirm that the work complies with national building standards (outlined in H4 Building Regulations). The developer can choose whether to use a Local Authority Building Control (LABC) department or an independent Approved Inspector to make this assessment.

We have made an agreement or ‘Protocol’ with a number of LABC’s and Approved Inspectors which gives them the authority to approve potential build overs on our behalf, so long as they meet specific criteria.

When a developer is working with building control, the inspector will review instances where a build over may be required. If they are satisfied with proposals and it fits our criteria, they will approve this on our behalf and the developer will not have to contact us for further approval.

If the proposed build over does not fit within our criteria or the inspector has concerns with the proposals, they will escalate this to us so that we can talk to the developer directly to offer advice and agree next steps.

If you live in an area where the LABC does not use the Protocol (Cumbria, High Peak and Tameside) or if your Approved Inspector has not signed up to our Protocol, you should contact us directly using our ‘Build over enquiry form’. This should be sent to

Email this page