What am I responsible for?

We are responsible for the repair and maintenance of the water mains, which carry huge amounts of water from our treatment works and storage reservoirs to your street.

The responsibility for maintaining and repairing water pipes that carry the water from our mains to your house is split between us and the home owner.

The pipe from the road to your property boundary (the 'communication pipe')

This part of the pipe is our responsibility and runs from our water main to the boundary of your property. We are responsible for looking after this. If you see a leak on the pavement or in the road please contact us.

The pipe from your property boundary into your home (the 'supply pipe')

The water supply pipe is the pipe which brings water into your home from our main in the street. You are responsible for the maintenance of this pipe however, if you find a leak on this pipe we may be able to repair it under the terms of our private leak investigation scheme

image - single supply pipe. If you are unable to see this image, please call us on 0845 746 2200

common supply pipe image

Please note: In a small number of cases, the property owner may be responsible for the cost of maintaining the full length of the supply pipe up to the point at which it is connected to our main. This is likely to be where our water main is not laid in the same highway as your property. Also, the property owner is responsible for their supply pipe even if it crosses other privately or publicly owned land before entering their home.


Email this page