Ashworth moor reservoir
The land around Ashworth Moor was purchased by Heywood and Middleton Water Board in the 1880’s to ensure pollution free supplies for the proposed Ashworth Moor reservoir which was built c.1905.
Below the reservoir is the ruin of Cheesden Lumb Mill, which was built in 1786 by John Kay as a fulling mill. Later the mill extended its activities to include carding, bleaching and dyeing. Due to bigger mills being built closer to Rochdale, Cheesden Lumb changed its production to recycling cotton waste, and then lastly ended up producing lamp wicks, before it finally closed around 1898. The mill was advertised for sell, but remained unsold so the mill was abandoned and the land brought by the Water Authority in 1909 from the Earl of Derby.
The roof remained till about 1920, but by 1952, the mill was a ruin, with the stone probably taken to be reused.
In February 1990, a large portion of the façade collapsed and was rebuilt with joint funding from English Heritage and the then named North West Water, the Mill and surrounding land is now owned and protected by United Utilities Plc.
- Nature reserve
- Environment trail